The Wrong Kind of Love

An original short story by Devyn Schneider

I’ve been waiting anxiously for this day for weeks, even months. Today is the day I am leaving you. I’m sure it won’t come as a surprise to you. Things have been rough between us lately. You have changed since I first met you. I used to trust you with everything, but all you did over these last two years was lie and fill me with empty promises. I suppose I can’t fully blame you, maybe my expectations were too high, or maybe I wasn’t ready for this commitment.

When we first met, you were everything I could ask for. There wasn’t a second I could go without you. Everyday you held my hand and guided me through life’s twist and turns. Every night you would be with me and we’d listen to music until I fell asleep. In the morning you’d wake me up just so we could do it all over again. You were so smart, you knew everything. It was amazing to me that we both shared the same interests. It was like we were meant to be.

However, every good thing must come to an end, right? I soon realized that maybe we were too perfect for each other. The relationship was toxic. Deep down inside I had known it all along but I didn’t want to end it and even if I did it wouldn’t have mattered. If I left sooner you would have made me pay the price because that was just how you were. You had me in your grasp. There was no escape. I soon was unable to spend time with my friends because you were so needy. I couldn’t work or sleep. You controlled my life.

Today I am leaving you so that I can live a better life. I’m sorry things didn’t work out, I really am, it’s just I’m ready to move on. I wish you the best of luck with wherever you end up in life. Don’t worry about me, I will be fine. Tomorrow I will find your replacement at the phone store, and I will begin the same never-ending relationship again with my brand new upgraded phone.

Advertisements