Who will manage the money?

Candidates for Treasurer respond to The Spartan’s questions. All candidates were provided a fair chance to partake in this interview.

Maura Gallant

IMG_3309 (2)Give a very brief background of yourself:

I am a freshman International Relations Major with minors in German and Intelligence Analysis, from Pottstown, PA.

Why are you running for Student Senate? What prompted you to run for the position? What sort of experience or other factors make you qualified?

I am running for the Student Senate and the position of Treasurer because I want to see the relationship between students in the YCP Community and Student Senate to be more productive with better and faster communication. Prior to YCP, I served as my Senior Class Treasurer in high school. Now, at York, I have worked throughout the last semester as Treasurer Pro Tem and have learned the methods used by the position and have worked to facilitate some of the communication between the Treasurer and organizations on campus.

Why should students vote for you?

While I have much experience in the position of Treasurer, I think it is my passion to support and help the student body that truly makes me the best fit for this position. I know students desire a better system of feedback from Student Senate in order to run their organizations the way they want to, and I want to make that process better and easier for them!

Darryl Andreas

21836754830_3cee8bcc2b_cGive a very brief background of yourself:

I have been a pretty involved member of Student Senate, working on many projects and working on improving the college as a whole, I hope to continue this and grow.

I’m running for Student Senate Treasurer because I believe that everyone has a voice, and it needs to be heard. I hope to prompt that and I hope to help the College as a whole grow and expand.

Why should students vote for you?

I will work my hardest for the students. I will give every organization a fair and realistic budget. I will continue in helping to spark change and growth for everyone. I hope to help be the voice of the student body.

Joseph Salerno

21837058018_1ee132a68eGive a very brief background of yourself:

My name is Joseph Salerno and I am currently a sophomore at York College of Pennsylvania, running for the Treasurer Position on Student Senate. I am studying Criminal Justice, with full intentions of having a career in law enforcement. I am extremely active in my home town community- Islip, NY, and the York College community as well. I am currently the Student Services Committee Chair on Student Senate, the Philanthropy Chair of Kappa Delta Phi, and a Patrolmen for the Department of Campus Safety. I am also an Eagle Scout, which is the highest ranking possible for Boy Scouts, and is very rare. During my time as a Boy Scout, I held many leadership positions and continue to do so today.

I am running for Student Senate to make a difference in the York College Community. As a Senator, you are responsible for dealing with the problems, questions, and concerns of the students. There is no better feeling than knowing you were able to help other students enjoy their experience at YCP. Through my previous positions on Senate, I was able to lead and contribute to a number of projects that benefited a number students.

I decided to run for the Treasurer position on the Student Senate Executive Board because over the past two years on Student Senate, my leadership skills have grown tremendously. I was fortunate enough to be picked by the current Executive Board to be the Student Services Committee Chair this academic year. My committee dealt with the following on-campus Departments: IT, Residence Life, Dining Services, Grumbacher Sport and Fitness, Mail Services, and the Bookstore. This position gave me a number of opportunities to work closely with faculty, staff, administrators, and, most importantly, students of York College and I feel this will help me succeed as Treasurer.

Why should students vote for you?

I believe the student body should vote for me because I am well prepared to lead and make decisions that will impact students across this campus. In talking with previous Treasurers, I have gained a great understanding of what the position entails and the responsibility of serving the student body. I am a student who is involved in many organizations, which helps me understand the importance of making sure each student organization gets a fair representation in the form of a budget. As Treasurer, I want to bridge the gap in communication between Student Senate and student organizations. Communication is key to success and many students complain that they are unaware of certain policies and procedures. By communicating on a personal and regular basis, this will help ensure all organizations are well educated in what they can and cannot spend their budgets on.

Photo credit: Mike Adams.

Note: The Spartan’s Editor-in-Chief Steven Brikowski, who is a candidate for president of Student Senate, did not participate in formulating questions for candidates and did not edit candidate responses.

Advertisements