A Celebration of Life for Dr. Melvin Kulbicki

Featured photo: photo by Steven Brikowski

By Steven Brikowski

You may not have known him, but Dr. Melvin Kulbicki had been a professor of political science at York College since 1976.

On Oct. 12, Dr. Melvin Kulbicki, the professor who spent the last 39 years at York College passed away after an 8 month battle with cancer.

The year 1976 was a big one for Melvin Kulbicki, graduating from the University of Maryland with a bachelor’s degree in political science, soon after marrying the love of his life, Lorraine Kulbicki, and being hired as a professor at York College.

In 1979, Kulbicki graduated from Penn State with a doctoral degree in political theory and empirical theory and methods.

Dr. Kulbicki was the political science department chairman from 2002-2007, along with being published in numerous professional papers and articles as well as sitting on multiple boards in his life.

On Oct. 29, a memorial for him was held in the Waldner Performing Arts Center to remember the impact Kulbicki had on York College.

The WPAC upper level quickly filled with many current and former professors and students as a slideshow played with pictures, biographies and news articles about his long and accomplished career.

First to speak was current political science department chairman John Altman. Altman opened it up and wanted the event to be an open forum where people could share what they want at any time. During his time speaking Dr. Altman looked back on the impact Kulbicki made on his life, “He’s the one that talked me into coming to York College.”

Altman also added, “We’ll remember the endearing things about Mel … he was a diplomatic, nice, kind. … He didn’t dislike anyone.”

Next to speak was Kulbicki’s mentee, Kurt Keller: “I owe Dr. Kulbicki more than I can ever express. He shaped my way of thinking and my outlook on life, here’s to you Dr. Kulbicki.”

State House Rep. Kevin Schreiber, D-York City,  presented a bipartisan legislative citation co-sponsored with Republican Rep. Seth Grove, who was a former student, to Kulbicki’s wife Lorraine.

A retired professor and long-time friend, Phil Avillo, reflected on his time at York College with Kulbicki, “There wasn’t a single faculty member here that he didn’t touch.”

Advertisements

One thought on “A Celebration of Life for Dr. Melvin Kulbicki

1. I am deeply saddened to learn of Dr. Kulbicki’s passing. I still remember my first day of class with him for American Government. He was a wonderful and passionate teacher, and the lessons he taught me about government and politics are ones I strive to instill in my own students today.